Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Master study 1


This is an illustration from a cover of one of the Archie comic book series.

I first completed the basic outline on Illustrator with various brush tools I used before for the previous practices and then I took it to Photoshop and added values and colors. I encountered some problems when doing the detailed parts of the values on the crown and his hair highlights because I used a mouse which disabled me from controlling the pressure of the brush strokes. So I had to keep changing the size of the brush manually which was time consuming and uncomfortable. That's why the shadows on the crown look a little blurry and not have as much detail.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! thanks for the post! For the crown shapes you can make a vector shape in Illustrator and then blur it in photoshop. You just have to import your vectors from Illustrator in different layers. Tablets are nice, but there is often a way around what they would do. Now if you could try doing your own comic head, maybe from a photo or something that could work as your interpretation/application of the techniques you used on the copy.

    ReplyDelete